Students to fast in solidarity with Haiti

first_imgWith relief efforts continuing two years after a major earthquake hit Haiti, students can fast from food, Facebook or other luxuries for 24 hours in a show of solidarity with the island nation. The Fast For Haiti, sponsored by Friends of the Orphans (FOTO), started after a 2010 earthquake rocked the Caribbean country, FOTO president Erin Wright said. “It’s a 24-hour fast in solidarity with the Haitian people,” she said. “We started the spring after the earthquake and we’ve done it the past three years because there is still a lot of relief needed.” The fast is not just centered on food. The event begins with an opening prayer service tomorrow at 6 p.m. in the Geddes Hall Chapel and concludes with a Mass on April 4 at 5 p.m. Following Mass, there will be a dinner in the Coleman-Morse lounge for students to break their fast, Wright said. “People don’t have to fast from food,” Wright said. “They can fast from their phone, fast from snacks, basically whatever they feel like they can do.” The purpose of the event is to raise awareness for Haiti’s restoration and money to help the country rebuild, Wright said. Wright said one of the biggest problems Haiti currently faces is controlling the outbreak of disease isn the post-earthquake environment. “Cholera is a problem,” she said. “Rebuilding is a problem.” To assist in development in Haiti, fundraising for the event benefits an orphanage and medical mission, Wright said. “All the money raised will go to Nuestros Pequenos Hermanos Haiti, which is affiliated with St. Luke’s medical mission,” she said. The money sent to Nuestros Pequenos Hermanos (NPH) Haiti will go towards the orphanage and its programs, and funds sent to St. Luke’s medical mission will assist cholera relief, as well as basic medical needs, Wright said. “The first year after the earthquake, the money [sent to the medical mission] was mostly used to help with injuries from that, but now it’s mostly used for cholera relief,” she said. Wright said FOTO is very active in other countries, like Honduras, the club supports nine different orphanages, including the one in Haiti. She said the others helped NPH Haiti following the earthquake. “After the earthquake, each NPH home rallied and all pulled together and were able to create a lot of support for NPH Haiti,” she said. During the 24 hours of the fast, participants will receive reflections and information about the situation in Haiti via e-mail. “[The reflections] are all a little different,” she said. “Some are from people who have been to Haiti. One we’ve used is [from] the director of St. Luke medical mission … We also use different prayers, ideas and thoughts about the event.” To participate in the Fast for Haiti, sign up online at foto.nd.edu.last_img read more

Vermont gasoline prices near national average

first_imgAverage retail gasoline prices in Vermont have fallen 0.5 cents per gallon in the past week, averaging $2.89/g yesterday. This compares with the national average that has increased 4.1 cents per gallon in the last week to $2.90/g, according to gasoline price website VermontGasPrices.com.Including the change in gas prices in Vermont during the past week, prices yesterday were 84.6 cents per gallon higher than the same day one year ago and are 5.9 cents per gallon higher than a month ago. The national average has increased 7.9 cents per gallon during the last month and stands 84.3 cents per gallon higher than this day a year ago.Source: VermontGasPrices.com 5.3.2010last_img

Quick Hits: Assault on Mount Mitchell, Pig Poop, and Climate Change in the South

first_imgAssault on Mount Mitchell Celebrates 44th YearRegistration is now open for the 2019 Assaults on Mount Mitchell and Marion, the Southeast’s premier cycling experience. The one-day 102.7-mile course climbs more than 10,000 vertical feet from downtown Spartanburg, S.C. to the summit of Mt. Mitchell in N.C., the highest peak east of the Mississippi. The Assault on Marion is a shorter, 74.2-mile ride from downtown Spartanburg, SC to the Tom Johnson Campground in Marion, N.C. The event draws cyclists from around the U.S. and the world and is set for May 20, 2019. Climate Change Will Bring More Wildfires and Drought to the SoutheastA scientific report by 13 federal agencies was released last week predicts that if major steps to curb global warming are not taken, there will be devastating effects to the country’s economy, health, and environment including crop failures in the Midwest, fire seasons in the Southeast, disrupted supply chains and plummeting agricultural yields. The report warns that climate change could cut up to a tenth of the gross domestic product by 2100, more than double the losses of the Great Recession. The scientific findings are in direct contrast to the Trump administration’s agenda of environmental deregulation. Trump has vowed to pull the United States from the Paris Agreement, under which nearly every country in the world vowed to cut carbon emissions. Hog Waste Poses Health Problems for North CarolinaRoughly 3,300 permitted hog waste lagoons exist across the state of North Carolina 20 years after state officials entered into an agreement with Smithfield Foods, the world’s largest pork producer, to find effective alternatives to open-air lagoons. Despite millions in research, the state has not come up with a viable alternative to lagoons and the Smithfield agreement expires in 2025. Hog waste lagoons are built to withstand 24-hours of rain but studies show climate change is producing wetter hurricanes and more intense rainfall. When the lagoons fail, ammonia and nitrates can seep into rivers causing algae blooms that kill aquatic life. Residents that live near hog farms complain of the nuisance and smell and have filed 26 nuisance lawsuits against Smithfield. There are 10 million people in North Carolina and 9 million hogs, which produce an average of 11 pounds of waste each day.last_img read more

ProLogis seals New Wave for biggest-ever spec shed

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Ian Wright explains how Arsenal ended up in ‘a bit of a mess’ over Aaron Ramsey’s contract

first_img Full Screen Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 11 Jun 2019 12:13 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link Skip Read More Read More by Metro Read More Rio Ferdinand tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop struggling Manchester United captain Harry Maguire ‘Decisions were being made, in respect of Aaron Ramsey’s contract, before it was starting to run down and were being made by people who were no longer there,’ Wright told talkSPORT. Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Advertisement Read More Top articles SPONSORED Ian Wright explains how Arsenal ended up in ‘a bit of a mess’ over Aaron Ramsey’s contract Ian Wright is not impressed with how Arsenal has been run in recent years (Picture: Getty Images,)Ian Wright believes that poor decisions were made by Arsenal as they handed out big contracts to certain players, which led to Aaron Ramsey leaving the club on a free transfer.The 28-year-old comes to the end of his contract with the Gunners this summer and he has been snapped up for nothing by Italian champions Juventus.Wright thinks that clear mistakes have been made by the higher-ups at the Emirates to allow such a highly-regarded player leave for no fee.With chief executive Ivan Gazidis and head of recruitment Sven Mislintat both leaving in the last 18 months, there has been a lack of clarity in the Arsenal leadership, in fact, Wright believes there have been problems since David Dein left his role as vice-chairman way back in 2007.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT 1/1 1 min. story / Comment PLAY About Connatix V67539 Coming Next Skip Ad Video Settings Read More Advertisement Aaron Ramsey is beginning a new life with Juventus next season (Picture: Getty Images)‘They’ve gone on to pastures new and left Arsenal in a little bit of a mess.‘In the contracts they’ve given people, it was very top heavy in the squad and we can see that in the way the guys are performing.‘As much as Arsenal have to take a massive amount of blame for that, there was a stage where they must have known he was not going to sign.‘So we are talking about a £60m player that should have been a case of “Okay, we will have to sell you now” and not let it get to a stage where it has got to.‘With David Dein going, that was the beginning of the end. That is a problem. That is a massive problem.‘He’s the kind of person, in respects of football and knowledge and vision and love for the club, who you can’t afford to lose.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityA replacement for Ramsey will be on the agenda for Arsenal this summer as they look to improve their squad, but with defensive reinforcements also required and a limited budget, the transfer market will be tricky to navigate for manager Unai Emery.‘Right now Arsenal are in a position where it is interesting what is going to happen in the summer without the money to spend or qualifying for the Champions League and going back into the Europa League,’ continued Wright.‘Have the players improved? Has the mentality improved? What system is he going to play now? There’s a lot of questions to be asked and you just have to hope something happens.’MORE: Done deal? Gabriel Martinelli drops Arsenal transfer hint on InstagramMORE: Man City aiming to beat Arsenal to Roma defender Kostas Manolaslast_img read more

QPR boss cautions Eze as Premier League suitors queue up

first_imgQPR boss Mark Warburton has cautioned the likes of Eberechi Eze not to be distracted by speculation about their future. West Ham are keen on the Nigerian-born Eze, who has also been linked with the likes of Leeds United. There are also doubts over the futures of Ryan Manning and Bright Osayi-Samuel, who are in the final year of their contracts at Loftus Road. “What they have to do is apply themselves really well. Their job is to focus on football,” Warburton told QPR’s website. Loading… “The periphery business, let the agents and the various people get on with it. “The player, just work on your game and if you do that then I don’t think there’s much you can do. “They’re QPR players. They’re getting paid by QPR. If they stay with QPR, all well and good.” Promoted Content6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?Laugh, Cry, Or Just Relax With The Best Series Streaming On HBOInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street ArtMost Famous Female Race Car Drivers Of All Time7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better9 Celebrities Who Look Older Than They Really AreEverything You Need To Know About Asteroid ArmageddonTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreTop 9 Scariest Haunted Castles In Europe7 Things That Actually Ruin Your Phonecenter_img “All you can do as a professional player is concentrate on what they control. “And they can control how they apply themselves, how they train and how they work. Read Also: Sevilla captain dedicates UEL victory to Reyes, Puerta Rangers begin their pre-season campaign with a friendly at home to AFC Wimbledon later today. Recent signings Lyndon Dykes and George Thomas are expected to make their debuts for Warburton’s side, while Eze, Manning and Osayi-Samuel are all likely to feature. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

$250 Sunoco bonuses at Shelby County Speedway, Bullring at RICO Fairgrounds this weekend

first_img2020 winners have been Jeff Aikey at Independence Motor Speedway, Matt Ryan at 34 Raceway, Joel Callahan at Dubuque Fairgrounds Speedway, Eric Pollard at 300 Raceway, Justin Kay at Davenport Speedway and Dalton Simonsen at Marshalltown Speedway. Ben Sukup, Cory Dumpert and Jim Johnson claimed the bonus money with wins at US 30 Speedway, Boone County Raceway and Off Road Speedway respectively, and the most recent winner was Dustin Griffin at Pepsi Lee County Speedway. VINTON, Iowa – The payday gets even better this week for the IMCA Sunoco Late Model feature winners at Shelby County Speedway in Harlan, Iowa, and the Bullring at RICO Fairgrounds in East Moline, Ill. IMCA will announce mid-week before the dates bonuses are to be awarded at each track. In a promotion postponed from last week, the IMCA Late Model winner on Saturday at Shelby County Speedway pockets an extra $250 courtesy of Sunoco Race Fuels. The same $250 Sunoco cash bonus goes to the top finisher following Sunday’s IMCA Late Model main event at the Bullring at RICO Fairgrounds. Sunoco bonuses are being presented at IMCA Late Model sanctioned weekly tracks this year. Drivers are eligible for only one bonus during the 2020 racing season. If the feature winner is a previous Sunoco winner, the bonus moves to the next eligible position.last_img read more

Gabriela Sabatini ‘doubts’ tennis can return in 2020

first_imgBuenos Aires: Argentinian tennis great Gabriela Sabatini has cast doubt over whether the professional tennis circuit will resume this year amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.Sabatini said the sport must address other priorities before restarting its packed international calendar, possibly in 2021, reports Xinhua news agency.“In the coming months I think it will be difficult to hold any sporting event,” Sabatini told the Subidos a la Red podcast, published on Sunday. “I have my doubts that something can be done this year in tennis,” added the 49-year-old, who retired in 1996 after a career that included the 1990 US Open title and 11 Grand Slam singles semi-final appearances.The professional tennis season was suspended in mid-March, in line with recommendations from the World Health Organization. Tennis governing bodies, the ATP and WTA, have since announced that the recess will extend until at least June 7.Last week, Wimbledon was cancelled for the first time since World War II, while the French Open has also been shifted from May to late September.“It’s difficult to think about the future and what may happen because precisely what you have to try is to avoid a lot of people coming together and in all these events that happens,” Sabatini said.“This is a bit desperate. You don’t know how or when it will end and even though we always like to think about the future, now we cannot do that. The good thing is that we are all facing the same situation because it is global, so the important thing now is to stay at home and keep healthy.”Sabatini, who reached a career-high ranking of No. 3 in February 1989, said the tennis world needed to act responsibly, “because that’s the best way to help each other.”Also read: Suggested Dhoni to be promoted during 2011 WC final: Sachin TendulkarAlso watch: Coronavirus Preventive Measures: Dr. Navanil Barua in exclusive interview with The Sentinel Digitallast_img read more

Guptill screamer helps keep Kings XI Punjab alive

first_imgMARTIN Guptill took one of the all-time great IPL catches before Kings XI Punjab fought off a potential record chase to keep their play-off hopes alive with a stunning seven-run win over Mumbai Indians at the Wankhede Stadium.Kings XI needed to win at the iconic venue to stay in the play-off hunt and Wriddhiman Saha’s magnificent 93 not out, after being promoted to opener, set the tone.Guptill (36 off 18 balls) and captain Glenn Maxwell (47 off 21) provided explosive assistance to the wicketkeeper as Kings XI thundered their way to a massive 230-3.Lendl Simmons looked like mounting a response in kind by smashing five fours and four sixes for 59 runs before he was caught on the long-on boundary one-handed by a flying Guptill to wrest momentum back Kings XI’s way.And although Kieron Pollard (50 not out off 24) and Hardik Pandya (30 off 12) threatened something truly great late on, the visitors clung on to move within a point of fourth-placed Sunrisers Hyderabad with one round of group games to go.The West Indian almost outshone Saha, but the India international’s effort was ultimately a match-winner.Saha and Guptill brought up the Kings XI fifty in just 22 balls and the glovesman kept the pedal to the floor once Maxwell joined him at the crease.The Australian took Harbhajan Singh for three sixes in a brutal opening over from the veteran spinner, but was bowled just shy of a half-century, attempting to flick Jasprit Bumrah behind square.Shaun Marsh (25) and Axar Patel (19 not out) gave Saha able partnership as Kings XI racked up the highest total of the season, but Mumbai returned in kind through Simmons’ masterful innings.Simmons and Parthiv Patel (38) put on 99 for the opening wicket, but a crucially sticky union between Rohit Sharma (five off seven) and Nitish Rana (12 off 12) that added just 13 runs in 15 deliveries ultimately proved costly.Pollard did his best to yank the contest back as he and Hardik smashed nine maximums between them, while Karn Sharma’s six-ball 19 helped take things to the last over.There was controversy as Pollard appeared to deliberately run short as Maxwell closed in on the ball in the deep, getting back on strike at the cost of a run before belting the next delivery over midwicket for six runs.But Mohit Sharma (2-57) kept his head to limit the powerful batsman’s angles and keep Kings XI alive. (Omnisport)last_img read more