Security Council Approves UN Force In Haiti For Another Year

first_imgBy Dialogo October 14, 2009 The UN Security Council voted to extend the mandate of the UN peacekeeping mission in Haiti for another year and to keep its strength at current levels pending a hike in Haitian police capacity. The 15-member council unanimously adopted Resolution 1892 that extends the mandate of the force known as MINUSTAH, which expires Thursday, until October 15 next year “with the intention of further renewal.” It also endorsed a recommendation in UN chief Ban Ki-moon’s report issued last month “to maintain the current mission overall force levels until the planned substantial increase of the Haitian National Police capacity allows for a reassessment of the situation.” And it backed Ban’s call for adjusting MINUSTAH’s configuration to “better meet current requirements on the ground.” The Council therefore endorsed the UN chief’s suggestion that the force’s military component be reduced by 120 troops to up to 6,940 with a corresponding increase of police to 2,211. Last month, Ban said in his report that it was essential to keep a “substantial international military and police presence” on the ground and at current levels” in Haiti. He noted that MINUSTAH was unlikely to need to conduct large-scale security sweeps such as those launched jointly with Haitian police in early 2007 against armed gangs which controlled some of the poorest neighborhoods of the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince. “It would therefore be desirable to enhance the mission’s operational ability to deploy rapidly and to monitor remote locations, including border areas and the country’s coastline,” his report said. Haiti has long been a major shipment point for drugs, arms and contraband en route to the United States and Europe from South America. The Brazilian-led MINUSTAH has been keeping the peace in the impoverished Caribbean island nation of eight million people since mid-2004.last_img read more

UFC reporter Laura Sanko’s home surrounded by nearly 400 police officers: Watch

first_imgLast Updated: 14th August, 2020 15:00 IST UFC Reporter Laura Sanko’s Home Surrounded By Nearly 400 Police Officers: Watch Former MMA fighter and current UFC reporter Laura Sanko shared a string of clips on Instagram showing her residence surrounded by around 400 police officers. WATCH US LIVE SUBSCRIBE TO US Former MMA fighter and current UFC reporter Laura Sanko found herself in an extremely unusual situation on Thursday afternoon. The former Invicta FC competitor took to Instagram to share footage of around 400 police officers converging on her home this week. The 35-year-old, who lives on a ranch, told her 124,000 followers that law enforcement officers were chasing a fugitive who had used entered Sanko’s property. “He entered our property via our cave,” Sanko said in one of her Instagram stories.“Ditched his shirt in our creek and is still missing, but they believe he left the area.”Per the short clips that Laura Sanko shared on social media, her property was full of U.S. Marshalls, SWAT teams, local area police officers and K-9 units. There was also a helicopter circling high above her home in the air. Ironically, despite having a plethora of vehicles at their disposal, the officers needed to borrow her Polaris in order to better search the land.Laura Sanko home invaded by police officers Written By WE RECOMMEND 3 weeks ago Daniel Cormier’s before-and-after video reveals dramatic weight loss ahead of UFC 252 COMMENT First Published: 14th August, 2020 15:00 IST FOLLOW US 1 month ago EA Sports UFC 4: Nunes, Jones and Nurmagomedov among top fighters after official revealcenter_img Earlier this year, Sanko told MMA Fighting that she had $20,000 worth of farm equipment stolen during the Easter weekend. “If people follow me on Instagram, they probably know I live on a farm – technically a ranch because we only have cattle,” she said while appearing on What the Heck. “We have 150 acres here, but what’s unique about it is I don’t actually live in the country.”Also Read | Bret Hart Reveals The Rock Used To Get Bullied By Shawn Michaels And Triple H In The 1990sThe UFC analyst confirmed the list of items that had been stolen. “We woke up Easter morning and a big piece of farm equipment had been stolen. It was our Polaris Ranger, and a bunch of tools had been stolen,” Sanko continued. “It was like $20,000 worth of stuff.” A former pro MMA fighter, Laura Sanko is currently one of the most popular UFC reporters. She is the current host of Dana White’s Contender Series on ESPN and a commentator for Invicta Phoenix Rising. Also Read | Lewis Hamilton Urges Broadcasters To Do More To Promote F1’s Anti-racism MessageAlso Read | Darvish Has No-hitter Through 6 Innings For Cubs Vs Brewers(Image Credits: Laura Sanko Instagram) Woke up at 3am to police searching the backyard and garage with flashlights. “Sorry to wake you, were just looking for someone”. 😳😳😳 pic.twitter.com/oQZwjRzbIm— Laura Sanko (@laura_sanko) October 9, 2017 1 month ago UFC’s Khamzat Chimaev flew to Conor McGregor’s native in 2018 to bash up Irishman LIVE TV Wild and scary scene at UFC journalist Laura Sanko’s home today. 😮Via @laura_sanko on IG pic.twitter.com/YVh8GMspOr— Kelsey McCarson (@kelsey_mccarson) August 13, 2020 1 month ago Benzema to UFC? Real Madrid star openly declares MMA ambition after football career Sujay Chakraborty Also Read | Dolphins’ Tagovailoa Is A Playful, Willing Backup — For NowThe UFC analyst later gave an update saying that the police suspect the fugitive has escaped the property. However, that does not mean Sanko felt it was safe to spend the night at her residence with her son. “Might be staying at a friend’s house tonight… then catching a 7:00 AM flight to Vegas,” Sanko announced later. This is not the first time Sanko has found herself dealing with police officers and even thieves, at times. In 2017, Sanko faced a similar situation after she posted on social media that she woke up in the middle of the night to find police officers canvassing her backyard with flashlights. 4 weeks ago LeBron James to UFC? Joe Rogan says he would have an ‘unfathomable physical advantage’last_img read more

Nathan Rothschild: GTG Network – Why Free-to-Play is lockdown’s most valuable lesson

first_img DraftKings CBO – Industry ‘only just scratched the surface’ of US sports betting July 16, 2020 Share Share StumbleUpon MySportwetten: What German players want from a bookmaker July 10, 2020 BetInvest: The benefits of separating esports betting markets August 7, 2020 Related Articles Submit Nathan Rothschild, GTG NetworkAs the resemblance of a sports calendar remerges for 2020, the global lockdown has asked serious questions of bookmakers’ customer engagement and long-term retention capacities.Nathan Rothschild, co-founder of sports betting innovation studio GTG Network, lays out why under the toughest business conditions, free-to-play (FTP) games and content have proved their value beyond simple concepts.____________________The near-total wipe-out of global sports has understandably posed a unique set of problems for the sports-betting industry. A global pandemic which prevents all but the very merest sliver of live sporting action taking place was almost certainly not a part of any ‘disaster scenario planning’ mapped out by the sports-betting world.It is now, of course, and though many might suggest there is an element here of shutting the door after the horse has bolted, it should be admitted that even among the rubble of the current sporting schedule, we can see how operators can at least try to put together an offering designed to give their customers something to keep them primed for when big-time sport does return.Indeed, that process is already underway. This past weekend we have seen the resumption of the German Bundesliga and we won’t have too long to wait for the return of UK horse racing at the start of June.Something resembling a recognised sporting schedule worth betting on is now on the horizon. But this still represents a fraction of the content that would have been expected for this point in the calendar. The sportsbooks are still going to have to look at how to keep their customers engaged between the big events. The cupboard is still relatively bare and may well be for a while yet.Keeping the customer engaged between their betting visits is vital but in truth, the situation operators face today is only a more pronounced version of what was going on before.Gaining the attention of the sports-betting public in an ever more competitive environment and with various regulators breathing down the necks of the marketing teams has become an increasingly important challenge. On top of this, keeping a player on your site, engaged, and able to bet come the next appropriate opportunity has become paramount.The Retention FactorEnter free-to-play games. Already acknowledged as a great retention tool, free-to-play games provide an entertaining reason for players to stay on a site. Repeat use is a vital factor in the games we provide, such as Trivia and a wide suite of arcade games, including Hit the Spot for Football and Hoops Galore for Basketball. They provide the draw factor, bringing interested players back to the host site with an engaging and entertaining experience. Most critically, they do not rely on any underlying sporting contests.Now this free-to-play theory is being given its sternest test. Without sport, why would a player visit their favourite sports-betting app? Well, if a game is available that can give them some sports-based entertainment even when there is no sport available, then it will have played a part in ensuring that the sports-betting customer hasn’t disappeared entirely.More to the point, it keeps that app front of mind for when serious sports are back on the agenda. These games also create all sorts of cross-sell opportunities to other verticals inside an operator’s offering.We all know that nothing can replicate the interest that is generated by the most popular sports. The arsenal of products available for sportsbooks at this time is severely limited. Yes, there are virtuals and esports are certainly being given more of a look than was previously the case. But they can only provide tick-over revenue.Whereas free-to-play games offer something potentially much more valuable. They give a site optionality when it comes to recreational customers. They can be deployed as a means to keep these customers coming back to your app even while the main event is off the agenda.And when sport does return, when consumers once again think about having a bet, then they will start to think who they are going to have that bet with. That is an easy choice to make if they are already playing a game on the site. Being front of mind is half – or all – the marketing battle; free-to-play games give apps and sites the chance to ensure just that._______________________Nathan Rothschild – Co-founder & Partner GTG Networklast_img read more