Army forces surgeon general to retire

first_imgKiley’s removal underscored how the fallout over Walter Reed’s shoddy conditions has yet to subside. Instead, the controversy has mushroomed into questions about how wounded soldiers and veterans are treated throughout the medical systems run by the military and the Department of Veterans Affairs and has become a major preoccupation of a Bush administration already struggling to defend the unpopular war in Iraq. “I submitted my retirement because I think it is in the best interest of the Army,” Kiley said in Monday’s Army statement. Amid the focus on Walter Reed, Veterans Affairs Secretary Jim Nicholson on Monday ordered his department’s clinics to provide details about their physical condition by next week to determine if squalid conditions found at Walter Reed exist elsewhere. Nicholson has been under pressure to reduce claims backlogs and improve coordination at the VA’s vast network of 1,400 hospitals and clinics. WASHINGTON – The Army forced its surgeon general, Lt. Gen. Kevin C. Kiley, to retire, officials said Monday, the third high-level official to lose his job over poor outpatient treatment of wounded soldiers at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Kiley, who headed Walter Reed from 2002 to 2004, has been a lightning rod for criticism over conditions at the Army’s premier medical facility, including during congressional hearings last week. Soldiers and their families have complained about substandard living conditions and bureaucratic delays at the hospital overwhelmed with wounded from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Kiley submitted his retirement request on Sunday, the Army said in a statement. Acting Secretary of the Army Pete Geren asked Kiley to retire, said a senior defense official speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the record. Defense Secretary Robert Gates was not involved in the decision to ask Kiley to retire, the official said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

FORMER COUNCILLOR ORDERED TO HAND OVER ALL PHONES IN HARASSMENT CASE

first_imgA former Donegal County Councillor has been ordered to hand over all his phones to Gardai after being accused of harassing his former partner.Former county councillor Gareth ReidGareth Reid, a former Fine Gael councillor, faces numerous charges including thirteen of domestic violence. The 31 year old father-of-three appeared in court today after being detained in custody for a week after revoking his bail conditions.Reid, of Lawnsdale, Ballybofey, faces numerous charges including domestic violence and criminal damage.A previous court sitting heard claims that he had phoned the woman 30 times over one weekend.The woman was so in fear of Reid that she has left Co Donegal and was living elsewhere.Solicitor Kieran Dillon said a week in custody had had a major effect on his client.“A week has passed and my client is a different person. He has had time to reflect in the past seven days and he has a different perspective on life.“His employment is just there and if he is not back at work as a lorry driver it will have consequences. It is also a very special time of year and there will be consequences for that if he is not working,” said Mr Dillon.However Garda Inspector Michael Harrison told the court that Gardai had no choice but to object to the granting of bail.He also said he wanted an order to recover ALL of Reid’s phone and not just “a select one.”Judge Paul Kelly replied “I take it that you suspect he has other phones?” to which he was told that was the suspicion.Inspector Harrison said he had good reason to oppose bail.“There is an injured party who constantly calls Gardai. If it was a one off we would not object (to bail.)“There are court orders here and he just seems to ignore them. There are domestic violence charges – thirteen of them and two for criminal damage. He has failed to sign on up to ten times.“He has pleaded guilty in the past and it’s not that he doesn’t know the consequences of what he is doing and he continues to breach the orders of the court. We just can’t consent to it,” he saidHowever Judge Paul Kelly agreed to release Reid on bail with a number of conditions.They include having not contact with the injured party and that he hand over all his phones to Gardai.FORMER COUNCILLOR ORDERED TO HAND OVER ALL PHONES IN HARASSMENT CASE was last modified: November 25th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal County CouncilGareth Reidharassmentphoneslast_img read more

NFL power rankings: Raiders, 49ers start in the middle

first_imgA look at how the NFL stacks up headed into Week 1:1. PhiladelphiaFinished at the top with Nick Foles at quarterback so that’s where they start.2. New EnglandWindow closing ever-so-slowly, but the Belichicks remain AFC favorites3. MinnesotaDefense is in place, now it’s time to see if Kirk Cousins is a winner. 4. New OrleansOffensive is balance a fountain of youth for Drew BreesLe’Veon Bell’s holdout is problematic for Pittsburgh.5. PittsburghLe’Veon Bell’s holdout puts …last_img

What we learned at Raiders HQ Thursday

first_imgALAMEDA — Derek Carr knows the feeling of desperation.As a surprise rookie starter at quarterback, the Raiders were 0-10 with Carr at the helm after falling 13-6 to the San Diego Chargers on Nov. 16, 2014.Dennis Allen was fired as head coach after an 0-4 start, interim coach Tony Sparano buried a football at the practice facility to represent burying the old ways, and the losing continued.So when the 0-9 Cincinnati Bengals visit the Coliseum Sunday at 1:25 p.m., Carr has a pretty good idea …last_img

Why to Log a DNF

first_imgLog Your DNFs3 Little Geocaching Letters that say “I Care”You’ve looked. You really have. The geocache is not a container magnetized under the park bench. It’s not that funny looking rock, and of course it’s not under the lamp post cover. You’ve checked the previous logs and the hint. The geocache could be there, but you can’t seem to find it. You give up (for now). Geocaching doesn’t stop there though. Here’s what you do. You log a DNF on the geocache page. It’s “Did not find” and it means, “I care.”When you log a DNF, you’re telling geocachers that the geocache may be more difficult to find than anticipated or may even be missing. You’re also letting the geocache owner know that they may need to double check that their geocache container can still be located at the posted coordinates.If you’re a geocacher who logged any of the more than nine million DNF’s posted to Geocaching so far, thanks from the geocaching community. It’s a small way to help ensure the quality of geocaching. Plus, you can always go back and search again. Who knows, maybe this time you’ll catch a break and log a “Found it!”Add a comment below and share your DNF strategy with other geocachers. When do you log a DNF?Share with your Friends:More SharePrint RelatedDNF for the Good of All HumanityMarch 2, 2014In “Geocaching Quizzes”Turn that frown upside downDecember 18, 2018In “News”Why You Should Log Your DNF’s – Geocaching.com Weekly MailerAugust 22, 2012In “Groundspeak’s Weekly Newsletter”last_img read more

Allegri trusts Dybala and Ronaldo will improve together

first_imgAfter Juventus’ victory against Bologna, manager Massimiliano Allegri expressed how happy he was for Dybala and Ronaldo’s improvement.Despite not scoring a goal this Wednesday against Bologna in Serie A, Cristiano Ronaldo played a good game for Juventus alongside Paulo Dybala for the first time this season at Juventus. The Vecchia Signora won 2-0 at their own stadium with a stellar performance from the Argentine where he scored the first goal and assisted Blaise Matuidi for the second one, proving that he is doing everything he can to improve his game alongside Cristiano Ronaldo and become a force to be reckoned with in Italian football. After a busy weekday of football all over Europe, only Juventus and Bayern München remain as the only clubs in the continent that still haven’t lost a single match in all competitions and that is mostly thanks to the sacrifice that all the players of the Italian club are making every single week. Even if he wasn’t able to score a goal, Cristiano Ronaldo is proving that he really wants Juventus to win everything they play and he is working hard on defense to help the squad make that happen. And if you add Paulo Dybala’s awakening to this effort that Cristiano is making, you get a team that truly can get a lot of success this season in every competition.Dybala: “We’ll see the strongest Juventus soon, With Cristiano Ronaldo there is enthusiasm, We are doing well, We must continue like this.” pic.twitter.com/RHvZy3l4UX— Cristiano Ronaldo (@TeamCRonaldo) September 26, 2018When the match Juventus played against Bologna started, it seemed like it was going to be a walk in the park for the Italian champions because they scored both goals early in the game. However, their rival really elevated their game during the rest of the match and even forced Juve’s defense to go to work several times throughout the match. Allegri wanted to recognize the work of every single player he believes made a good effort and he started with the Argentine forward who has been heavily criticized these past weeks: “Paulo [Dybala] had a good game like he did in Frosinone. It’s normal he needs to grow. They [Ronaldo and Dybala] played a good match tonight. The more they play together and the better they know each other, I think there is room for improvement. “I think playing with the three in front and Mandzukic in the middle makes both play better. Unfortunately Barzagli is 37, but he is still a different class of defender. Cancelo has the qualities to become the best full-back in the world. There’s a lot of compliments for what the boys did. In the first half the team was in charge of the pitch, we filled the pitch better than in the second half. We were more vulnerable and we played a few risky balls. We have to improve in this,” said Allegri after the victory.Juventus XI: Szczesny; Cuadrado, Rugani, Chiellini, Alex Sandro; Can, Pjanic, Bentancur; Dybala, Mandzukic, RonaldoSubs: Perin, Pinsoglio, Benatia, Bonucci, Cancelo, Matuidi, Bernardeschi, Kean#FrosinoneJuve #FinoAllaFine #ForzaJuveRick Karsdorp, Roma, Serie AKarsdorp reveals he had too much stress at Roma Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 The Dutch defender has been with the Gialorrossi since 2017, but he has not enjoyed his time in the Italian Lega Serie A.— JuventusFC (@juventusfc) September 23, 2018Juventus is all geared up for Napoli.This victory and the perfect pace they have so far this season, is a fantastic motivation for Juventus’ next match on Saturday against Carlo Ancelotti’s Napoli. Cristiano Ronaldo is going to meet his former Real Madrid manager in what will be the most important test that the Portuguese player will have to endure, at least on his short-lived Serie A career to far with the Vecchia Signora. Ancelotti is trailing behind Napoli very closely and they want to defeat them in order to end their unbeaten run and also reach those 18 points at the top of the table. The Italian manager has brought up Napoli’s most competitive side this season, many pundits in Italy are even saying that this version of the squad is even more effective than Maurizio Sarri’s team when the now Chelsea manager coached the squad in previous seasons. But ‘Carletto’ knows that all this praise will be good for nothing if his boys don’t manage to beat Juventus at their own stadium, next Saturday will be a very important days for both sides and we’ll all be watching closely to see if Paulo Dybala and Cristiano Ronaldo finally get to score goals during the same match.I’m back 🔙! Felice per il gol ma soprattutto per la vittoria ⚪️⚫️ #serieA #juventus #soccer #futbol #dybalanation pic.twitter.com/y7KV44a6iy— Paulo Dybala (@PauDybala_JR) September 26, 2018How long do you think it will take for Dybala and Ronaldo to score on the same match? Please share your opinion in the comment section down below.last_img read more

Zamorano compares his Inter to todays team

first_imgThe former Nerazzurri striker sees some similarities between the squad he played for and the current Lega Serie A teamFormer Chilean footballer Ivan Zamorano won the UEFA Cup once with Internazionale Milan in the 1997-1998 season.And now the Nerazzurri is behind Juventus in the Italian Lega Serie A.Zamorano admitted to Football Italia how this team and the one he played for share some similarities.“I see similarities between the two groups. Mine was fantastic, Internazionale at the core,” he commented.Romelu Lukaku, Serie A, Inter MilanCapello calls Lukaku “a modern striker” Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 The former Italian manager believes Romelu Lukaku is perfectly suited for Antonio Conte’s Internazionale Milan in the Serie A.“Today’s is still being born and the first two Champions League games, won with a comeback, have a decisive weight.”“This Inter is now aware that it can win and that awareness is being transmitted. On the night of the derby at San Siro, there was a clear sensation, you could breathe it: Inter were going to win,” he added.“As I was leaving the stadium I said I hadn’t seen a side I liked so much in many years.”“If you play for Inter you need to have that belief, it was the same in my day and it’s like that now because battling with Juventus isn’t just a duty, it’s a pleasure,” he explained.“Inter have to keep doing that without saying so though, with their feet on the ground.”last_img read more

Madrid players will give their all for Solari Odriozola

first_imgReal Madrid defender Alvaro Odriozola believes the entire squad are willing to give their all to newly appointed coach Santiago SolariThe Argentine was appointed the coach of the European champions until the end of the campaign after winning his opening four games.“We know we have to work to get out of the crisis we are in,” Odriozola told reporters, as cited by Football Espana.“We are focusing on playing for our Coach, we are prepared to die for him and we know that he is a great Coach, we want him to continue.Jose Mourinho, Lionel MessiMourinho: “Lionel Messi made me a better coach” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho believes the experience of going up against Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi at Real Madrid made him a greater coach.“It was important to win at a complicated ground like Celta especially because we are going into the international break and the league is very close.“It was a battle and these are the type of battles, against tough opposition, that you need to win and now we must continue to work hard to stay on this path.“We want to keep showing what a great team we are.”last_img read more

Nikolaevsk Man Dead And One Trooper Injured After OfficerInvolved Shooting

center_img Yakunin was pronounced dead on scene. Next of kin for Yakunin has been notified. The initial responding Trooper was transported to South Peninsula Hospital in Homer for medical treatment. It was determined Yakunin had a condition of release from a recent court case stating he was not to have contact with the female. Alaska State Troopers responded to an address on Nikolaevsk Road to contact Yakunin. Upon arrival of the first backup Trooper, Yakunin continued his assaultive behavior, and he was shot to prevent further assaults on any Trooper or bystander.last_img