A Murder In The Woods: The Mystery Behind Shenandoah National Park’s Last Homicide

first_imgIn May of 1996, Julianne “Julie” Williams and Laura “Lollie” Winans walked into the woods and never came out alive. Their double-murder sparked shock and fear within Shenandoah National Park, where they were murdered at their backcountry campsite, and far beyond, prompting a nation-wide search for their killer. I was in high school when Julie and Lollie were murdered. If I heard the news as it unfolded, I don’t remember. But a year after their death Bill Bryson’s A Walk in the Woods was published and opened a previously unknown chamber inside of me. At the time, I was just a kid in Ohio who took solace in nature. But in Bryson’s kooky memoir about walking the Appalachian Trail, I found an obsession, enthralled by the idea that one could walk over 2,000 miles without ever leaving the forest. It was in one of the years that followed, as my curiosity about the Appalachian Trail deepened, that I first learned of Julie and Lollie.Julie and Lollie weren’t hiking the Appalachian Trail when they were murdered, but their bodies were discovered not far from the popular footpath. As I learned more about their lives, I began to see myself reflected in their stories—Julie’s love of travel, Lollie’s belief in the transformative powers of testing oneself in the outdoors. Reading between the lines, I could sense their yearning to find themselves, to build a simple and meaningful life. It was the same desire that drove me to eventually make my home in Western North Carolina, so many years after first feeling the pull of the Appalachian Mountains.A double-murder in ShenandoahOn Sunday May 19, 1996, Julie Williams and Lollie Winans embarked on a backpacking trip in Shenandoah National Park with their golden retriever, Taj.Julianne WilliamsJulianne WilliamsJulie, 24, of St. Cloud, Minnesota and Lollie, 26, of Unity, Maine, pitched their tent off of one of Shenandoah National Park’s horse trails. They chose a peaceful spot next to a mountain stream, which, investigators later noted, may have drowned out the sound of approaching footsteps.The women had met nearly two years before at Woodswomen, a now-defunct nonprofit organization in Minnesota focusing on education and adventure travel for women. It was there in the isolated lakes of the Boundary Waters and the towering pine forests of northern Minnesota that they connected—two people from very different backgrounds bound by their love of the outdoors.According to journalist Barry Yeoman in a story for Out, Lollie was a “microbrew-drinking, Phish-following, cigarette-smoking, good-time girl.” She was from a well-to-do family in Michigan but rejected the privilege of her birth. She left home after high school and enrolled in college in Vermont, though she eventually dropped out. A few years later, in 1994, she enrolled in Unity College near Waterville, Maine and began studying to become a wilderness guide. By all accounts Lollie loved the outdoors and wanted to give others the experience of finding themselves in the wilderness, as she had.Laura WilnansLaura WinansJulie was a geologist in the making, a high-achiever and sports enthusiast who won the Minnesota state double tennis championship in high school and traveled to Europe in college to study the extinction of dinosaurs. She graduated summa cum laude, spoke Spanish, and worked with the disenfranchised, including migrants and people suffering abuse. After college she struck out for Richmond, Vermont and took a job at a bookstore in Burlington. Her future was bright and flourishing. The trip she planned with Lollie in Shenendoah was, in fact, a celebration of a new job that she was set to start in Lake Champlain, Vermont on June 1, 1996.Instead, that was the day that park rangers found her body.On May 31, 1996, Thomas Williams, Julie’s father, reported his daughter missing. Park Rangers started a search and located Julie and Lollie’s car just north of Skyland Lodge. “We started doing hasty searches to cover all of those trail corridors in that general area to see if we could locate them,” explains Bridget Bohnet, Deputy Chief Ranger at Shenandoah National Park. “At some point during those hasty searches we did locate the dog.” Taj, the golden retriever, was wandering through the park unleashed.The next evening, on June 1, 1996, rangers found the bodies of Julie and Lollie at their campsite on Bridal Trail, a part of the horse trail system that runs from Big Meadows to Skyland.Their wooded campsite was only a quarter mile down the trail from Skyline Drive and a half-mile from Skyland Lodge, a popular gathering place with a bar, restaurant and cabins. It was the weekend after Memorial Day, and the lodge must have been jam-packed with hikers and tourists itching to get a jumpstart on the summer. I’ve stood on the balcony of the lodge myself, sipping a beer and staring out over the Shenandoah Valley as color slowly leaked from the evening sky. It’s unfathomable to think that within a ten-minute hike from this popular location, two women could be bound and gagged and have their throats slashed, and their killer could disappear without a trace. But sometime after May 24, 1996, the date that Julie and Lollie were last seen, that’s exactly what happened.It also seems nearly impossible that two bodies could lay undiscovered in such a popular part of the park on a busy holiday weekend but, as Bohnet explains, one of the backcountry regulations at the time was that backpackers had to camp away from designated trails, fire roads, and developed areas. “It wasn’t a heavily used or heavily traveled trail,” says Bohnet. “They were following the backcountry regulations at the time which required them to be out of sight.”Photos left behind in their camera give a glimpse of the last few days of Julie and Lollie’s lives. The women arrived in Shenandoah National Park on May 19, 1996 and launched off into the woods on the Whiteoak Canyon Trail, emerging again a few days later due to rain. According to Yeoman, they hitched a ride with a park ranger and renewed their camping permit before setting out again. They climbed Hawksbill, the highest mountain in Shenandoah, before making camp that night in an idyllic spot next to a stream near the Appalachian Trail.At some point shortly thereafter, Julie and Lollie’s lives violently ended.The challenges of solving crimes in National ParksScroll through the National Park Service’s list of cold cases and you’ll find that it’s easy to disappear in the woods. There are a number of reasons that people go missing, most of which are attributed to accidental falls or wrong turns. Statistically, when it comes to crime, public lands are incredibly safe. In fact, Julie and Lollie’s murders were the last to happen in Shenandoah National Park.“We don’t have a lot of crime in the park,” says Sally Hurlbert, Management Specialist at Shenandoah National Park. Hurlbert had just started working at Shenandoah when Julie and Lollie were murdered. “It was very intense,” she remembers. “We were all very scared and worried about it.”But when a crime does occur in a National Park, the investigation that follows is often more complex than if the crime had occurred off of public land.“The first step in conducting an investigation in a national park is identifying what the jurisdiction of the land is where the incident occurred,” says Christopher Smith, Special Agent in Charge of Operations for the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch (ISB). The ISB acts as the investigative arm of the National Park Service. They are responsible for investigating crimes that occur in, or affect, the National Parks.Shenandoah National Park is exclusive federal jurisdiction, which means that only the Federal government has law enforcement authority. “Our law enforcement staff was involved in the initial crime scene security,” explains Bohnet. “We had special agents that are part of the National Park Service handling the investigation in conjunction with the FBI. We also worked with the Virginia State Police’s crime scene unit to have them come and process the crime scene along with the FBI, because at the time we did not have the equipment.”Aside from the complications that can come from a multi-jurisdictional investigation, investigations can also become problematic due to the nature of crimes on public lands, which often occur outside.“Several factors make conducting investigations in National Park Service sites challenging,” explains Smith. The first factor is that so many people are coming and going from the park each day. The year that Julie and Lollie were murdered, 1.57 million people visited the park. That kind of transient environment allows the perpetrator to easily slip through park gates unnoticed.Locating, accessing, collecting and preserving evidence outdoors also make solving crimes on public lands more challenging. “Any type of crime that occurs in an outdoor environment, your crime scene is probably ten times larger than it would be in a residence,” explains Bohnet. “You have the initial crime scene where something happened and then you have the outer crime scene because you don’t know which way the person came in or went. So the crime scene in and of itself tends to be larger and harder to contain and process.”Another factor is that the discovery of the crime may be delayed because of the remoteness or solitude of its location. “We had that problem with Lollie and Julie’s case,” says Bohnet. “We had to find them first. It’s like finding a needle in a haystack.”In the years that followed the discovery of the women’s bodies, the National Park Service and the FBI joined forces to conduct a nationwide search for their killer, including following up on an estimated 15,000 leads.For over a year, nothing happened. Until one day in July 1997 when the tranquility of Shenandoah National Park was shattered once again.A suspect emergesShenandoah’s Skyline Drive is a popular place for a bike ride and in July 1997, that’s what Yvonne Malbasha, a tourist from Canada, had come to do. As she pedaled the mountainous road, admiring the Blue Ridge views, Malbasha was forced off the road and off her bike by a man driving a truck. He screamed sexual profanities at her as he stepped from his vehicle, enraged, and tried to force her inside. Malbasha was able to fight him off and took cover behind a tree as the man reentered his truck and tried numerous times to run her over. He eventually gave up and sped away, and rangers apprehended him as he was attempting to leave the park. Later, when investigators searched his vehicle they found hand and leg restraints hidden inside.Not much is known about the attacker, Darrell David Rice. At the time of Malbasha’s attack he was in his late twenties and living in Columbia, Maryland, a single guy with no kids. Although he had no previous criminal record, reporting done by The Hook, a now-shuttered weekly newspaper out of Charlottesville, Virginia, states that Rice was fired from his job at Maryland’s MCI Systemhouse in June 1997 because he was extremely hostile at work. Rice’s former co-workers told investigators that he yelled sexual and other profanities at them, punched a hole in the wall of the men’s bathroom, stole their lunches, bumped into them so that they’d spill their coffee and took down one woman’s picture and threw it in the trash.In 1998, Darrell David Rice pled guilty to the attempted abduction of Malbasha. He was sentenced to 135 months in a Petersburg, Virginia federal penitentiary. Interviews after his arrest led prosecutors to believe Rice may have been involved with Julie and Lollie’s murders. The Hook reports that prosecution documents stated: “Rice became a possible suspect for a variety of reasons, including the obvious parallels in geographic location, the predatory behavior exhibited, and the exclusive selection of female victims.” The Hook also claims that Rice “was videotaped entering the park at Front Royal at 8:05pm on May 25, and again at Rockfish Gap at 4:57pm on May 26. He returned with his friends Caryl and Robert Ruckert on June 1.” Rice denied that he was in the park on May 25 and May 26 but did admit that he was there on June 1.With circumstantial evidence in hand, on April 10, 2001, nearly five years after their deaths, Attorney General John Ashcroft announced the indictment of Darrell David Rice in the murder of Julie Williams and Lollie Winans.Julie and Lollie were lovers, a fact that threatened to steal headlines in 1996. In a news conference announcing Rice’s indictment, prosecutors alleged that, “Rice has stated on several occasions that he enjoys assaulting women because they are, in his words, quote, ‘more vulnerable,’ close quote, than men.” Additionally, prosecutors stated that Rice said the women deserved to die because they were gay.Rice was charged with four counts of capital murder, two of which alleged he selected his victims because of their sexual orientation. Because Rice was charged with a hate crime, his indictment invoked a federal sentencing enhancement. If convicted, Rice could receive the death penalty.But he was never sentenced.Though prosecutors spent years building the case against Rice, they lacked forensic evidence. Then, in 2003, a hair found at the crime scene was tested. DNA results indicated that it did not match Rice or the victims. After that, the case fell apart. In 2004 the charges against Darrell David Rice were dismissed “without prejudice,” meaning he could still be charged at a later date.Because the murder of Julie and Lollie is still an active investigation, the FBI will not discuss persons of interest. No one has been convicted of the murders, and Rice was released from prison in 2011. The last reported sighting of Rice was in 2014 when police in Durango, Colorado began receiving calls from frightened residents saying they’d seen him in the area. Durango Police Chief Jim Spratlen said people were overreacting, adding, “all I know is he’s not wanted, and we ain’t looking for him.”Still waiting for answersLast year, around the twentieth anniversary of Julie and Lollie’s murders, the FBI circulated a press release and updated posters. “The case remains an open and active investigation,” says Dee Rybiski of the FBI. “It’s our hope that any continued coverage of the girls’ murders will one day generate that one crucial piece of information that may bring someone to justice and peace for their families.”Today, Julie and Lollie would be 45 and 47 years old. And while time marches on, the women are still remembered by their loved ones, the FBI, and the old timers at Shenandoah who were working in the park all those years ago. “When I found out that they were geologists, that hit me because I’m a geologist,” remembers Hurlbert. “I felt bad knowing that they were out having a good time, looking at the rocks, enjoying themselves and then something horrible like that happened.”“I was a very young ranger at the time and it affected my career. Before that, I may not have taken the law enforcement part of my job as seriously as I do now. I was a backcountry seasonal, you know? I was having a blast,” says Bohnet. “I didn’t think about people getting murdered in the park. I changed the way I thought about things after that. I changed the way I trained for things. I changed a lot of stuff about how I did my job. It had a profound effect on me and I know it did on the people who worked that case.”Over two decades have passed since Julie and Lollie were killed in Shenandoah National Park. The shock of their murders is now just a shadow on an otherwise peaceful recreational paradise that I, like many others, will return to again and again. But the next time I climb Old Rag, or stargaze at Big Meadows, I will remember Julie and Lollie, two lives cut short while enjoying a place that so many of us love.If you have any information concerning the murder of Julianne “Julie” Williams or Laura “Lollie” Winans, please contact the FBI-Richmond Division at (804) 261-1044. Two hikers attacked on Appalachian Trail Saturday, one victim deadlast_img read more

TT-Line’s Ferry 1st to Feature MAN’s Dual-Fuel, Diesel-Mechanical Propulsion System

first_imgThe TT-Line’s new Green Ship ferry is set to become the world’s first ferry to receive MAN’s dual-fuel, diesel-mechanical engines after the marine propulsion supplier received an order from China’s Jinling Shipyard.Jinling is building the 230-meter RoPax ferry for German ferry operator TT-Line under a contract that contains options for an additional ship.According to MAN, Jinling has ordered a total of four engines.The newbuilding is based on TT-Line’s Green Ship design, developed in collaboration with Copenhagen-based designer, OSK-Shiptech, and is scheduled for delivery in 2022.The ship will serve within TT-Line’s route network in the Baltic Sea. Operating on LNG, it will have 50 percent fewer emissions than TT-Line’s previous generation of vessels.The vessel will feature a complete MAN propulsion package, besides the engines, including propellers, a fuel-gas-supply system (FGSS), and the fuel-saving, hybrid propulsion system HyProp ECO.“Running on LNG, our propulsion package will enable this vessel to operate on such low emissions that it will become the most environmentally friendly RoPax ferry in the Baltic,” Lex Nijsen, Head of Four-Stroke Marine Sales – MAN Energy Solutions, said.“This order is the very first MAN dual-fuel, diesel-mechanical propulsion system for a ferry application,” he pointed out.The newbuilding will have the capacity for 800 passengers and over 200 articulated lorries. The company currently has six ferries operating on various routes in the Baltic Sea.last_img read more

Nexans Lifts Pay for Frontline Staff, Leadership Takes Voluntary Pay Cut

first_imgRemote working has been implemented for all positions where possible. For its frontline employees, who must attend production, logistics sites and installation, Nexans has implemented a bonus of €750 monthly which will be awarded for the entire duration of the crisis. The other members of the executive committee have agreed to reduce theirs by 15 per cent over the same period, and the Group’s top managers will be asked to join in this effort as well. The company said it will only use partial unemployment according to the needs identified, for periods as limited as possible. Christopher Guérin, CEO of Nexans, has committed to reducing his compensation by 30 per cent for the months of April and May 2020.center_img Christopher Guérin said: “The whole Group, at all levels, is engaged every day in respecting safety standards and sanitary measures, maintaining our production, and delivering products and services to our customers. We are already working on an industrial recovery plan to be deployed. This next phase must be thought, defined, imagined now at all levels and for all the challenges we face. A new world for a new Nexans, and we are ready for it.” The members of the board of directors and its chairman, Jean Mouton, will similarly reduce their remuneration by 30 per cent, for the months of April and May 2020. Nexans CEO, members of the board of directors, and management are to take voluntary pay cut as a sign of solidarity and social cohesion, but also to award its frontline employees.last_img read more

NZ Tourism Search for first Aussie gay wedding in NZ

first_imgTacky Tourism Board – using a highly controversial law change which was rejected by more than half of NZ’ers (80% according to Campbell Live!!). But your tax money is paying for it. By the way, you know who the Minister of Tourism is, eh?And ironically, Australia has just rejected attempts for the law to be changed to recognise gay couples who tie the knot overseasYahoo News 24 June 2013New Zealand’s tourism promoter wants to fly two Australians across the ditch to become the first same-sex couple to wed under new marriage equality laws.Tourism New Zealand on Monday launched its search for the first Australian same-sex couple to marry under the Marriage Amendment Act, which comes into effect on August 19.“We are excited to be making history and working with one lucky same-sex couple to become the very first from Australia to be married here in New Zealand,” said Tim Burgess, general manager of Tourism New Zealand’s Australian operations.The prize includes return flights from Australia, accommodation, a special wedding ceremony and reception.Details about the exact wedding location will be revealed in July when the winning couple is announced.http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/17722007/search-for-first-aussie-gay-wedding-in-nz/Family First slams Tourism Board’s gay marriage ‘stunt’ONE Newshttp://tvnz.co.nz/travel-news/family-first-slams-tourism-board-s-gay-marriage-stunt-5476480last_img read more

Minister assures on supervisory role

first_img “Nobody will tell the Federal Government to turn its eyes away from the decision of the majority of the board members and support the minority. “Every programme that has been put in place for the Olympics is on track and not just for the AFN but all other sports going to the Olympics. We are not distracted at all. Read Also:Sports Ministry warns Impostors to Steer Clear of Team Nigeria “Ultimately, the resolution of whatever is going on lies with he board. The government gets interested where it affects the interest and the development of sports in Nigeria. We will continue playing our supervisory role, intervening but not interfering,” the Minister affirmed. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Youth and Sports Minister Mr. Sunday Dare has assured that the Ministry will continue to align with Sports Federations that adhere to processes and rules guiding their activities, even as the government will only intervene without interfering. New Sports Minister Sunday Akin Dare Speaking yesterday in Yenagoa, Bayelsa state at the Restoration Cup, Dare said the decision of the ten members of Athletic Federation Nigeria (AFN) board to impeach its former President, Engineer Shehu Gusau, conformed with its rules. “The Ministry of Youth and Sports Development is really focused because we have the Olympics ahead of us. Beyond the AFN we have other sports federations dealing with internal board matters and that will continue for a while. “For the AFN, the position of the Ministry is clear. The government recognises the Olamide AFN leadership. They have been able to provide the Ministry with all the processes that have taken place. We stand with the ten members of the AFN board, we don’t stand with the two or three members. “We’ve seen their reports, their meetings, their resolutions, the suspension, the impeachment. They have submitted this report to us; it’s from the board, it is not from the Ministry.center_img Promoted ContentEver Wonder What Keanu Reeves Spends His Paychecks On?Insane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street ArtWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?Which Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Non-Obvious Things That Damage Your Phone7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterThe Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made10 Albino Animals Who Look Like GhostsPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your BodyPretty Awesome Shows That Just Got CanceledWhat Are The Most Delicious Foods Out There?last_img read more

Eni Aluko quits football

first_imgRelatedPosts Pirlo not out to copy anyone after Juventus’ comfortable opening win Live stream Premier League, La Liga, Serie A on Showmax Pro this weekend Juve’s Pirlo gamble makes new Serie A season the most open for years Former England striker Eni Aluko has announced her retirement from football. The 32-year-old, who wore 102 caps for the Lionesses, left Juventus in December after nearly 18 months with the Serie A champions and had been tipped to return to the Women’s Super League. Posting on Twitter, before linking to a full letter on the Players Tribune, she wrote: “My dear friend football, it’s time to hang up my boots and retire as a professional footballer. “Thank you football for everything you’ve given and taught me. Thanks for the full circle moments and crazy unexpected journey.” Aluko, who played for Birmingham, Charlton and Chelsea in England as well as having a brief spell in North America, was part of the Great Britain team at the London 2012 Olympics. In her letter, entitled: “Dear Football,” she wrote: “When we met … I was just a girl from a council estate in Birmingham. I could never have imagined the crazy, unbelievable journey you would take me on. “You have given me the dream of playing in the US, the pride of representing England, the thrill of winning titles with Chelsea, the adventure of playing for Juventus in Italy. “Whenever I have faced obstacles, you have shattered them. Whenever I have had great expectations, you have exceeded them.” In her post, Aluko added that “there have been other moments when I have thought about leaving” football. “I’m talking about the racism, the abuse on social media, all that,” she said. “Women do not earn much in football, we play because we love the game. Sometimes I have thought: ‘Is it worth it? Do I love you enough?’ And every time the answer has been yes.” The forward, who is also a trained lawyer, scored 33 goals for England in 102 appearances but didn’t play for her country again after 2016. The following year, she said she was subjected to “bullying and discrimination” by then-England coach Mark Sampson, which led to the Football Association making a public apology to Eluko after an investigation found Sampson had used racially discriminating remarks towards her and Drew Spence in 2014 in what were described as “ill-judged attempts at humour.” As part of the case, it was revealed that an £80,000 financial settlement was secretly struck by the FA with Aluko to halt her grievance complaint against Sampson ahead of the European Championships in 2017.Tags: Eni AlukoJuventusPlayers TribuneSerie ASuper Leaguelast_img read more

Mixed breeds take spotlight in Sunday’s Humboldt County Fair horse racing

first_imgFerndale >> Bar JF Red Ticket bids for a third straight win in the $4,000 Cream City Mule Handicap, and Ayers looks for back-to-back victories in the $7,000 Ferndale Arabian Stakes as the mixed breeds enjoy the limelight this afternoon at the Humboldt County Fair.The Cream City and Ferndale Arabian Stakes will be run as the first and second races, respectively, on today’s seven-race program. Post time for the opener is scheduled for 2:07 p.m.Considered one of the all-time mule greats, Bar JF …last_img

72 days that shaped South Africa (10)

first_imgJust how “miraculous” was South Africa’s transition from apartheid to democracy? How close did the country really come to civil war?Check out our press clipping snapshots of the 72 days leading up to Nelson Mandela’s inauguration as SA’s first democratically elected President – and see how heavily the odds were stacked against “the rainbow nation”.2 MAY 1994ANC poised for victoryThe African National Congress was last night headed for victory in South Africa’s first democratic elections, but conceded it had lost to the National Party in the Western Cape.By 11pm last night, the ANC commanded a comfortable lead of 54 percent, while the NP followed with 33 percent and the Inkatha Freedom Party a mere 4.5 percent.Sowetan, Monday 2 May 19943 MAY 1994It’s President MandelaAs millions more votes were tallied throughout last night and early today, the long-expected became fact: Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela is South Africa’s first black president.In an effective state-of-the-nation address last night as victory became inevitable, Mandela put into words the sentiments of millions of South Africans: “You can proclaim from the rooftops: free at last.”Speaking at a celebration party in a city hotel, he strongly reinforced a message of reconciliation: “This is the time to heal the old wounds and build a new South Africa.”The Star, Tuesday 3 May 19944 MAY 1994IEC freezes results, revamps countingThe release of SA’s election results ground to a halt last night while “a top-level IEC crisis meeting” re-evaluated the counting procedure, which was taking too long, a senior IEC official said.Counting has dragged on for four days and delayed the transition. It had been expected to take 36 hours. Only about 75% of the votes had been counted yesterday.Business Day, Wednesday 4 May 1994IEC staffers can always count on a laughExhausted Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) officials began to shake off their depression yesterday about the growing counting debacle by telling jokes about their predicament.“How Many IEC officials does it take to change a light bulb?” is the question. “It’s impossible to tell. The light bulbs haven’t arrived yet”, is the reply.The officials have good reason to joke. A loose calculation shows that since counting began on Sunday morning the 50 000-odd counters have each counted one vote an hour.Business Day, Wednesday 4 May 19945 MAY 1994Horse trading by parties will decide resultIndependent Electoral Commission chairman Judge Johan Kriegler yesterday said he expected the election results to be manipulated to resolve political disputes and election irregularities.There was nothing wrong with this, he said. In fact he welcomed it.“Let’s not get overly squeamish about it”, Kriegler said. “They (the parties) are in a power game with one another, and if they want to settle on the basis that they withdraw objections, there’s nothing wrong with it, ethically or legally.”With only 10 days in which to certify the elections, and mindful that the presidential inauguration is scheduled for next Tuesday, the ordinary process for hearing complaints was “quite clearly not available”.“We have to make an assessment on available data”, Kriegler said.Business Day, Thursday 5 May 19946 MAY 1994Poll result today – IECSouth Africa will learn the outcome of the election this afternoon, according to the Independent Electoral Commission.This follows a flood of results earlier today, bringing the total count close to 20 million.The final announcement – after days of frustration as the vote counting process laboured under a plethora of problems – will be made at Midrand’s Gallagher Estate, the IEC said in a statement.The Star, Friday 6 May 1994R2 160m US aid for South AfricaWashington – President Bill Clinton announced yesterday a doubling in US assistance South Africa of $600-million (R2 160-million) over three years, and said his wife Hillary would attend Nelson Mandela’s inauguration as the country’s first black president.The Citizen, Friday 6 May 19947 MAY 1994It’s a dream outcomeIt’s just about a dream result. The outcome of South Africa’s first all-race election is poised to defuse many of the conflicts that could have accompanied the birth of the country’s new dispensation.The ANC – with 62.65% of the national tally – fell just short of the two-thirds threshold, a result that is bound to ease the concerns of minorities fearful of unbridled domination, at the same time satisfying the ANC’s grassroots followers.The National Party gained just more than 20% and will have 82 MPs in the National Assembly, an outcome that should assuage the fears of whites.And in the KwaZulu/Natal provincial legislature, the fractious Inkatha Freedom Party won fairly comfortably in a result that may stem the blood-letting in the province.Weekend Star, Saturday 7 May 19948 MAY 1994One nationAs world leaders began arriving yesterday to celebrate the birth of democracy in South Africa, President-elect Nelson Mandela moved swiftly to show that SA’s new government will be both pragmatic and reconciliatory.Speaking outside a Cape Town synagogue, Mandela said: “I stand firm in the belief that we are one country, one nation, whether we are coloureds, Indians, white or Africans – that is what we must promote in this country from now on.”Sunday Times, Sunday 8 May 1994Shaved by the poll – as Natal professor comes cleanNatal’s legendary anti-apartheid beard got the chop last week. Retired University of Natal vice-principal Prof Deneys Schreiner shaved for the first time in 40 years.In 1954, when coloureds were removed from the voters’ roll by the Nats, he vowed in protest not to shave until coloureds and blacks could vote.It seems ironic that the Nats won the Western Cape on the strength of the coloured vote last week.This weekend, Schreiner’s daughters Jenny and Barbara saw their father’s free and fair face for the first time in their lives.However, Schreiner has started regrowing the great white beard, which grew to mythological proportions in the province.He said: “To shave once every 40 years is enough – especially with your wife’s razor and Sunlight soap!”City Press, Sunday 8 May 1994The story continued …1 – 6 March 19947 – 13 March 199414 – 20 March 199421 – 27 March 199428 March – 3 April 19944 – 10 April 199411 – 17 April 199418 – 24 April 199425 April – 1 May 19942 – 8 May 19949 – 11 May 1994Research, photos: Ndaba DlaminiWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

How to Find Your Lost or Stolen Android Phone for Free (Smartphone Tip)

first_imgRelated Posts New from Lookout Labs, makers of the popular anti-malware software for Android, is an app called Plan B which helps you locate your missing phone. And what makes it better than Apple’s “Find my iPhone” mobile application? Simple: you can install this app after your phone goes missing. Thanks to the Android Market’s over-the-air installation feature, you can push this app down to your mobile device by installing the app from the Android Market website. Afterwards, the app will automatically start running on your device and it will send its current location to your Gmail address. If for some reason it doesn’t start, you can borrow a friend’s phone and text the word “locate” to your phone number.Other Options for Tracking Lost PhonesPlan B is not the only “find my phone” application available in the Android Market, but it does have one thing going for it that several others don’t: it’s completely free.It should be noted that in some cases, that’s because its feature set is more limited than its competition. For example, the $3.99/year iHound tracking application offers advanced capabilities like the ability to wipe your phone’s data, trigger alarms, check in on Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare and set up geofences. This last feature means you can be alerted when family members cross virtual geographic boundaries – like when your child arrives at school, or when your spouse returns home.A few other “find my phone” apps on Android include Where’s my Droid (free/donate), Find My Phone ($0.99) and Lost Phone (free). I’ve personally used iHound (on my iPhone) and Where’s my Droid (on my Android) in the past and both worked well. However, I tend to not purchase apps when a free alternative is available that works as well, so I can’t speak to how well Find My Phone works. And Lost Phone seems to have mixed reviews, so I skipped it.Update: I’ve also just discovered LocateMyDroid, which lets you track your phone on a map in real time via a Web interface. It’s also free and works anywhere in the world.What I like best about Plan B is that when you don’t have the luxury of installing an app on your device itself, the remote over-the-air (OTA) installation and app startup features it offers are a real lifesaver. Although OTA installation isn’t unique to Plan B – all Android apps can be pushed down from the Web to your device – the addition of an SMS trigger is a great feature to have in case something goes wrong.How to Use Plan BSo how do you use Plan B? It’s simple:Go the app’s page on the Android Market and click on the blue “Install” button next to the app’s icon. (You must be signed in to your Google account first).A pop-up box will appear asking you to confirm which device you’re sending it to (if you have more than one) and displays the permissions the app is requesting. Click the “install” button again to complete the process.Plan B will download directly to your phone and then emails you at Gmail with its location. (If that doesn’t work, borrow someone’s phone and text “locate” to your phone number). That’s it!You’ll initially get one email when the app starts and then up to five more when your phone’s location changes over the next 10 minutes. Each location will have an accuracy rating next to it, to help you better determine the phone’s exact location. If you aren’t able to find your phone in the first 10 minutes, just text “locate” again to re-trigger the tracking process and emails.Some users report annoyance with the frequency of emails sent, so for now, it’s recommended that you uninstall the app after you find your phone. Also, it should be noted that GPS isn’t implemented in the same way on all Android devices, it relies on your phone having access to a signal and it won’t work if the phone is switched off. In tests, Plan B wasn’t always accurate in some of its emails, but other emails (the ones with a higher accuracy rating), the location was more precise.Plan B only works in the U.S. at present.Plan B may not always be a free option for Android user, unfortunately. Lookout tells us that it’s free for now because it’s still in the experimental phase. That may or may not change in the future. Hopefully, you’ll never have to use an app like this, of course, but if you ever do need one, Plan B is one is good to know about. Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces sarah perez What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Tags:#How To#mobile#web Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement No one ever plans on losing their phone, but when it inevitably happens, panic quickly sets in. As someone whose iPhone sat on the bottom of a pond for over half an hour, believe me, I know the feeling. But now I’m on Android (and yes, the pond incident had something to do with that), so Apple’s useful and free “Find my iPhone” tool, which tracks down lost phones via GPS, is no longer at my disposal. What to do?Luckily, there’s a free app for that on Android, too. And, frankly, it’s even better than the iPhone’s version.Why is Plan B for Android Better Than “Find My iPhone?” The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technologylast_img read more

Deposition of Union Ayush Minister Shripad Naik as witness adjourned

first_img: Panaji Judicial Magistrate First Class (JMFC) Artikumari Naik on Monday adjourned to June 12 the deposition of Union Ayush Minister Shripad Naik after he sought time to appear as a witness in a cheating case filed against Vinod Desai who had posed to be his staff. Mr. Naik, who was summoned by the JMFC to appear on Monday at 10 a.m., sent a written application seeking another date as he had to remain in Delhi on Monday for work related to his Ministry. Mr. Desai, who in 2014 claimed to be working in the office of Mr. Shripad Naik at Sao Pedro in North Goa, had promised a youth Mervin Fernandes, hailing from Merces in North Goa, a government job at the State Secretariat on payment of ₹6 lakh and had taken an advance of ₹2 lakh.Having failed to secure the job, Mr. Fernandes demanded that the amount be refunded. After repeated reminders, on June 28, 2017, Mr. Desai issued Mr. Fernandes a cheque of ₹1 lakh. But the cheque bounced.In September last, Mr. Fernandes lodged a complaint at the Old Goa Police Station and Mr. Desai, on being summoned, handed over another cheque . After that cheque also bounced, the Old Goa Police on September 25 registered an FIR against Mr. Desai under Section 420 of the Indian Penal Code.In November last, Mr. Fernandes initiated criminal proceedings for cheque bouncing against Mr. Desai before the Panaji Court.Mr. Fernandes’ lawyer Adv. Aires Rodrigues submitted before the court that Mr. Desai, using his connection with politicians, had duped hundreds of young job-seekers of crores of rupees over the last few years.The JMFC summoned Mr. Shripad Naik to testify and give material evidence on what he knew about the case.last_img read more